The original house was built in 1919 and was designed by the famous American country-house architect Harrie T. Lindeburg. The house had been poorly renovated over the years and the task was to impart the character of the original design to a vastly enlarged program. The plan of the original house was reorganized, its detailing upgraded and a large addition made to the south. The center of this addition is a great hall, linking the original house to the new wing. The roof is supported on heavy timber oak trusses. The hall is paneled with a high wainscot in limed white oak and is lit by a large oriel window and “eyebrow” windows in the roof. The new wing comprises the master bedroom suite above and an office and screened porch below, opening onto a terrace.